I'd like to propose a rework/redesign of the main tikiwiki.org/tiki-index.php page. I like to consider myself a fairly advanced Tiki users, and I'm very confused by the page. I think we need to give potential Tiki-ers a much cleaner first impression. For example, compare Tiki's "home" page with:
I ask you to take a honest look... based on each home page, which software looks:
- More inviting
- Easier to use
tw.o/tiki-index.php should be the place, not only to discuss and develop TikiWiki, but to SELL it, too. My specific comments/suggestions:
- Need to activate the site identity module, by default. At a minimum, the Tiki logo should be in the top-bar.
- Why are there two MENU modules?
- Why are there two SEARCH modules? I suggest removing the Search Wiki PageName module — it is not needed. Using the Search module with the Wiki Pages option peforms the same function. Additionally, by activating the Site Identity, the Search function can be moved to to the top-bar as well.
- The LOGIN module is hidden (it is listed 3rd) in the right column. Let's move it to the top of the right column.
- Include site identity
- Include search
- Somewhere in the header, we need a bright, obvious button: GET TIKI NOW!
- Create a new START HERE module that includes:
- Download link
- Installation instructions
- Link to FAQ
- Link to Features
- Link to demo installation
- Menu Module (suggestions on what to include in the menu to follow...)
- Random Tiki-site of the day. I, for one, would be very interested in visiting other Tiki-powered sites.
- Login Module
- Since Your Last Visit (after logging in)
- Messages (after Logging in)
- Who Is There
- Last Changes Module
- Shoutbox (should be on for anonymous users)
- Need to rewrite the introduction. This should be short, simple, and to the point. Something like:
- Learn more about Tiki (link to list of features)
- See Tiki in action (link to demos, videos, etc)
- Get Started Now (link to dowload)
- Customize your Tiki (link to themes)
- Join the Tiki Community (link to forums)
That's it. Short. Simple. To the point. Maybe a few graphics/screen shots thrown in for good mesure. This front page should also use the SPLIT plugin to include three columns:
- Last Articles
- Last Comments
- Upcoming Events
I also have additional ideas/comments/suggestion regarding the "Portal Page", default theme, etc., but I think I'll let the dust settle first....