Like many other open source projects, I think we should add a bounties system
to dev.tw.o (for those who want to use it, which need to have no impact on
Facts are :
- Many people are using tikiwiki and they have many needs. Some of them (and
I'm convinced they are quite a lot) may be able to pay for those needs to be
- Many developpers need funds to invest them more in tikiwiki,
- It's not so easy, for the moment, for those two groups of people to
contact each other,
- Many developments are done in different companies or organizations but are
not send back to the community. This is not a problem, but It would be better
if we could convince more people that it is better for us and for them to
share new feature developments, since they will benefit from the existing
community (bug fixing, compatibility with code evolution, etc.)
We could greatly benefit from bounties. For example, this may :
- show that more and more companies are involved in tiki development and
have some budget for it (which is something important for many companies when
choosing a product),
- motivate some developpers and convince new developpers to join our
- more quickly reduce our bug and wish list
Xavi has already done a wiki page to put some bounties there, but :
- Wiki is not, IMO, the right tool to handle bounties,
- Not enough developpers are aware of this page,
- It will probably not really start / work unless we really promote bounties
(e.g. a link to something like bounties.tikiwiki.org , on tw.o portal ... or
at least something accessible from tw.o or dev.tw.o menus)
Sylvieg also reported to me that Bitweaver has a bounties system (
http://www.bitweaver.org/wiki/Bitweaver+Bounty ) that is not very active, but
I think this may be because they don't have a huge enough community and user
base, unlike Tikiwiki.
There is some websites that are specialized in bounties
(bountycounty.org, ...), but my proposition is to have our own system, begin
with something really simple (better have something simple than nothing) but
more adapted than a wiki page.
I think we could now :
- Use our own trackers to manage bounties :
* either in dev.tw.o, by adding new fields to our 'Tiki Tracks' tracker,
* either in a new bounties.tikiwiki.org tracker
- Promote bounties (see above : link on tw.o, ...)
If the choice is made to use our trackers, we could use existing data types
('Feature request', 'Bug', ...) or add a new data type "Bounty".
Comparing to what we already have with our dogfooded tracker buglist, this is
what I propose to add :
- Sponsor (company, organization, ...) [text input][S],
- Proposed amount (in dollars only, for the moment ?) [text input][S],
- Deadline for developpers to make a bid [date][S],
- Deadline for the development to be done [date][S],
- "Current bids" + ("My bid" [text input] OR "Accept bid" [radio]) [A],
- Additionnal comments for sponsor [textarea input][S],
- Additionnal comments for developper [textarea input][D]
[S] : sponsor editable field only (could be different from the one who
submitted the request ?)
[D] : developper editable field only (by the developper mentionned
in "assigned to")
[A] : editable by everyone for his own proposal (except the sponsor). For each
one who made an offer in his "My bid" text input, it will be appended to the
auto-generated list of "Current bids", which will be shown above "My bid".
The sponsor will not have a "My bid" text input, but radio buttons available
just after the end of the "Deadline for developpers to make a bid" to choose
one of the current bids (or to choose no bid at all).
[A] is, I think, the main point that will need some small developments to be
done in tikiwiki code.
I'm not in favor to handle money transactions through tikiwiki, and we have no
paypal option for now. I think developpers and sponsors can simply contact
themselves and choose together what fits them the best.
Note that since some developments may be required, depending on how it will be
implemented or not, it will probably not be available in 1.9.x ... and then
not in dev.tw.o before 1.9.8 has been released.
Comments and ideas are welcome. I'm volonteer to invest time to work with
other interested people (sylvieg, xavi, marclaporte ... ?) on this project.