I'm trying to understand the usage of Watches and whether it will fit my particular needs. Let me explain, and provide the options I've been able to come up with to resolve my dilemma:
Planned Usage: I'd like to be able to use Tikiwiki as a collaborative communication tool for managing multiple software projects within a program. Among the TW features, I plan to significantly use:
- Wiki - document application functionality and current project requirements
- Blog - provide a journal of ongoing project activities that may affect members of the team
Need: Because I can't rely on all team members to monitor the site daily, I need to push content out via email. From what I can determine, I can use the Mail Notifications capability to send an email to each user when any wiki page changes. I haven't tested that capability yet, but presume that it works fine.
I can't figure out how to push emails out for new blog entries.
- Use articles instead of a Blog, since I see that "A user submits an article" is an option in the Mail Notifications admin section. However, the chonological aspects of a blog would be lost, and it doesn't seem to be an effective use of Articles.
- Find some freeware RSS->email program that can run on my machine to regularly monitor the RSS feed and send emails when something changes. Nice idea, but I haven't been able to find an application that I could install to give me this functionality. (Remember, intranet only app - no internet ASP options available)
- Modify TW to provide a monitor function to the Blog functionality. (Or, figure out how to use it if it's already available.)
- Add a mail notification event for when any Blog post is added/modified. I think this is the right thing, but to this point I haven't been able to figure out how to add any new items into this dropdown.
How can I set up the system to provide users these mail notifications by default, rather than individually assigning them within the admin screens? Defining a single email pointing to a distribution list would be a solution, but I don't have the rights to our Exchange server to create such a distribution list. Ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Environment: Intranet only, WinXP Pro, Apache 2.0.48(Win32), PHP 4.3.5RC2, MySQL 4.0.17-nt